Saturday, May 7, 2011

Haley is Now PORT-able!

Sorry for the tardy posting, I haven't felt up to typing yet.

The surgery went really well! The operation took about twenty minutes from start to finish and it took me another two hours to shake off the anesthesia. I did have some issues in the recovery room. When I first came to I couldn't breathe so I asked for an albueterol treatment through the nebulizer and that seemed to help a lot. Then I had to be put on oxygen because my pulse oxygen levels kept dipping into the 80's. Also, they weren't able to control my pain with Percocet. I've had that problem in the past but I always forget to mention it. Huge oops. Once I was released I was able to take the Vicodin Dr. Hulka prescribed for me and that seemed to do the trick. Yay for Vicodin!

I was able to sleep for a full eight hours last night thanks to the painkillers. YES! Today has been rough since I slept a little too long this morning and got behind the pain curve. A visit from the amazing Miss Allie and a coffee frappacino from Starbucks definitely brightened my day. Love her!

I have three incisions, two little ones about a half inch in length and one big one about two inches long. They're pretty black and blue and a bit swollen but already I can tell it won't be nearly as noticable as I feared. I actually like it... weird, I know. When I have a little more energy I'll post a picture and finish the entry about my clinic visit that I started while waiting in pre-op.

My family and friends have been incredible. Between the texts and phone calls and visits... they're just amazing!
So, so far so good. I'm excited to see how the port looks when I'm all healed up. I decided not to start my course of antibiotics in the hospital and I'm SO glad I didn't. I can't imagine tugging or adjusting a line from my incision right now. I'll probably start the two week course at the beginning of the week with the help of a home healthcare nurse. Hopefully I won't be as sore by then.

I'm now happily PORT-able! :)

1 comment:

  1. It looks pretty darned good and I am so happy that you are not feeling as bad (physically or otherwise) as you thought you might! I love you and know that this was the right decision! Yippee!
    -Aunt Maria

    ReplyDelete