Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Little Poking and Prodding

I had my first appointment with an allergist on Monday. My CF doctor, Dr. Budhecha, seems to think that some of my symptoms may be exacerbated by allergies. Since I'd never had any allergy testing before she decided now was as good a time as any. How convent is it that the allergist is in the same office as Dr. B?

Having made my appointment for Monday morning on Thursday afternoon, I had plenty of time to worry myself into a hot mess about what allergy testing would entail. Also, there were certain members of my family, whom shall remain unnamed, that spent the entire weekend telling me horror stories about needles and reactions. I was sufficiently freaked by Sunday night. Sheesh. When I go to my appointment on Monday I was relieved to discover that they don't use needles in their testing. Instead they scratch you 56 times. Yeah, doesn't sound too appealing but compared to the alternative... scratch away!

After some poking and scratching and 20 minutes to allow sufficient reactions or lack-thereof, the results were in. Drum roll please...

Not so fast. First I have to explain the stakes, cause they were high. The allergist was essentially convinced that I was allergic to my dogs, specifically the dog that sleeps in my bed every night. She strongly suggested that my pets become "outside dogs" before the test was even complete. Now that the stakes have been properly explained, back to the drum roll...

Allergens:
-Cockroaches
-House Flies
-Mold
-Cats
-Sagebrush
-Tumbleweed
-Native Nevada Grasses
-Native Trees

I really got a kick out of the cockroach and house fly allergy! So relieved I'm not allergic to Max, my mini-dachshund. My cousin asked me, "what kind of girl do they think you are that they're testing for cockroaches?!!"
It gave us a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment