Thursday, April 28, 2011

Finally Blogging

First of all, happy happy happy birthday to me and my little sister Cierra! Today I turn 20 years old and she turns 17! Yep, very exciting.

Second: Yes, I've finally decided to start blogging. This is the easiest way for me to keep my friends and family informed and up-to-date on all of my Cystic Fibrosis related news and developments. Plus, I couldn't let an adorable blog template like this one pass me by. No way Jose!

The past couple of weeks have been really, really crazy. I started getting sick about three weeks ago and I'm still not better yet. It's usually times like these, when I'm taking a while to bounce back or get better, that my CF doctor brings up a PICC line. Here comes the designated whining portion of this post: I hate PICC lines. I mean really, really loathe them. I've had three since I was diagnosed and I swear I get more and more anxious about them every time. My last PICC (August 2010) left me with some nerve damage in my left hand in the form of numbness and tingling in my fingertips and was a very traumatic experience overall. Okay, whining portion complete! 

In an effort to relieve some stress and decrease my anxiety my doctor discussed other IV antibiotic options. One of which was called a port -a-cath and is inserted under the skin below your collarbone. There are a couple of other options but I really took a liking to that one because it lasts for 2-3 years (that would mean six PICC lines) and can be accessed for blood draws, basic IV's, and IV antibiotics whenever needed. There is also a more temporary central line available. I have a consultation with a surgeon tomorrow and then I will make up my mind. Whatever I decide I will most likely be in the hospital for an IV at some point next week. I have an appointment at the CF clinic at Renown on Friday, May 6th for my basic check up too. 

Like I said, craziness! I also had an appointment at the allergist on Monday that I will post all about later. 

... Have I mentioned that today is my birthday? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment